Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Our love story

I found this song again and it has so much meaning to my husband and I and our deep love for each other. Our love story started almost 9 years ago I can't believe it has been that long it's the longest love I have ever had and definitely the strongest. This song is relevant to us because of how we met we both feel that we were meant for each other. I met Damian at a Young Single Adult dance in November of 1999 just when I wanted to give up on dating for awhile I was pretty soured on the whole dating experience and meat market scene. I even had plans to go on a mission although I was only 19 I was pretty confident that I would make it until 21 single. Well, that changed Thanksgiving weekend in 1999 when a friend dragged me along to one last dance she told me. I had an okay time but nothing to really make me want to keep coming until the last dance of the night. My biggest pet peeve is to see guys not dancing when there are plenty of girls waiting to dance. So I got bold and asked a tall guy with brown hair and a bushy brown beard to dance he just said he was waiting for someone whom I assumed was a girl so I said well it's the last dance of the night so I don't think she's coming. He still said no and normally I would have walked away but something told me to keep talking to him so I did finally telling him that it was just a dance not a marriage proposal that did it and we danced. Usually I am shy but around Damian I wasn't I lost all shyness and by the end of the dance we were talking like old friends we even hugged. There was just something about him that was different from every other guy I had ever met he was genuine and real he wasn't all about flirting and placing another notch on the belt so to speak. Another friend that night said something that would turn out to be prophetic when she said to send her a wedding announcement. I shrugged it off pretty sure I would never see this man again. Wrong!!! The following Monday after a really bad day I saw him again at Family Home Evening and we talked and he put his arm around me and asked me how I was he even remembered my name. I tried lying and giving him the polite response but he didn't buy it so he asked me how I really was. This floored me that he cared so much about me and he barely even knew me but we talked for awhile and I felt so much better talking to him but I thought he was off limits that he had a girlfriend and even if I didn't know the girl I had never stolen someone's boyfriend. So I needed to think so I went outside for awhile and while I was outside I prayed for guidance and then went back inside. Damian found me again and we talked and he said that he thought he had a girlfriend until she had stood him up and then he asked me out on a date which I said yes to but he kept taking it back saying that I was too pretty to go out with a guy like him. Finally I said do you want to put your money where your mouth is and he whipped out his debit card and said I'm short on cash but will this work. That broke the ice and I gave him my phone number. Then he walked me out to my mom's car and boldly introduced himself by saying Hi, I'm Damian Impett you will be hearing a lot from me. I couldn't believe he said that to my mom. We talked on the phone the whole week and although we had a date scheduled to see Toy Story 2 we couldn't wait that long to be boyfriend and girlfriend it happened so fast but it still seemed right too we talked from 3 in the afternoon when I got home until 3 in the morning most nights. Talking to him and sharing everything with him seemed to natural and so right. He proposed to me on January 3rd 2000 on his couch in his apartment and of course I said yes and we were married June 24th of that same year. We have had our good and bad times but he is still the love of my life and I know I am his. I don't regret how we met or how quickly we married or fell in love because I have no doubt we were guided on this path and we were paired up for a reason. When we are not being stubborn mules (we are both a Taurus) we are partners in life and friends and I wouldn't have it any other way. This video sums up what we belief that our love story was not by accident

2 comments:

xoelle said...

awwww.....

Stephani said...

That's a really sweet love story Amanda, I didn't realize you and Damian have been together so long. I love that you told him "it's just a dance, not a marriage proposal" LOL, that's awesome.
Congrats for how far you've both come, I know it hasn't always been easy for you, and I can totally relate, marriage is something we all have to constantly work at right? But I'm glad you seem so happy because of where you're at now. Keep it up. :)