Monday, May 17, 2010

Once in a lifetime

I am going to share something that I don't share much and that is my deepest feelings about my husband. I don't share them with many because I feel they are sacred, I love him so much that I don't feel the need to broadcast it with the world but those who have seen us know it. I want to start back before I met my dear husband back in high school because that's a good way to get some background. I was surrounded by good friends male and female but I still struggled with self worth and wondering if I was pretty enough. I knew that I didn't have a tiny little body and I knew I didn't have the prettiest face in the world and back then I thought that's all that guys cared about and what mattered. I became desperate wondering if anyone could ever love me because I didn't get to date much and it scared me I didn't want to be alone I had a big heart of love to share and I wanted to share it. Fast forward to November of 1999 when I met Damian Grant Impett. He was the last guy I would have thought twice about he wasn't the suave, good looking type who oozed charm. Something told me to dance with him that night and I did and when I did I was glad he was nice and sweet and put me right at ease. I felt like I had known him forever instead of having just met him. He hugged me and I was startled but his hug was too nice to get mad at him. He told me later that he felt the urge to hug me he sensed that I needed it. From that night on I have adored his hugs his hugs feel like a cozy blanket wrapped around you. We talked and laughed and his sense of humor and wit was right in league with mine it was awesome we matched each other perfectly. I didn't know then that night would begin the first chapter in our almost 11 year love story. We have been through it all with each other learning and loving as we go. We even had chapters of hurt, pain and sorrow saying things that we now regret but we have learned to forgive and move forward loving each other more for growing together. He has shown me that he loves me as I am he doesn't need a super model. He compliments me still and that makes me feel good that after all these years he still wants me beside him and no one else. He has learned that I will stand beside him and support him and be in his corner no matter what. I still to this day remain his advocate for his autism and his bipolar issues and helping to get him to get the help that he needs to get. I wouldn't trade what we have for anything. Our love grows deeper and stronger and I think that's because what we have is real...it's not the happy fairy tale it's raw, and real. Some chapters have been happy, some have been sad, some have been full of anger but we have learned to share them all together and to learn from our mistakes so we don't hurt each other. We have learned to pull together and remain united no matter what life throws at us and believe me we have been thrown some real doozies so far and I know we are not done yet. Damian is the man who has my heart and I know that I have his and we are guardians of that. I have always had trust issues I couldn't ever imagine trusting anyone as much as I do him. He has always been able to assure me that he will be there and he is a big guy with a big belly but trust me he is also strong. I know that I am safe in his strong arms and that is where I intend to stay. We found this song awhile back and it sums up our love story pretty well and what we have gone through.