Saturday, May 15, 2010

Finally a true Spokanite

I have lived in Spokane my whole life all 30 years but there have been some things that I have never done or seen. Tonight I got to experience one of them I went to my first Torchlight Parade. I got to go mainly because my husband and father in law were volunteering to help out with communications with their ham radios as part of their ARES( Amateur Radio Emergency Service) group and mom wanted to go so I went to keep her company. I had seen it on TV and thought it was no biggie but seeing it live was AWESOME!!!!! I had a great time and mom did too so much so that we are planning ahead for next year. I can now say officially that I am a true Spokanite. I was also very proud and pleased with the respect and support that the people around us gave to the military men and women in the parade. Many times we all stood up and gave salutes or rounds of applause to show them we appreciated what they do for us. We especially made sure that the older vets from WW II and Korea and Vietnam knew this was touching because they know they are dying off and those wars are fading into distant history. We wanted them to know they had not been forgotten.

1 comment:

Stephani said...

How cool, I've never been to one of those either. I really want to start looking into fun things to take my kids to in the area. Do you know of any schedules or anything that tell what local activities are going on?