Saturday, March 6, 2010
A scare
I haven't had internet for a few days and I was too spooked to blog about what I experienced until now so sorry for the delay. I have been in good health for the most part my whole life but when I was a child I didn't get periods like everyone else. I just thought I was a late bloomer that's what the doctors told my mom. It wasn't until I was almost done with high school that I was told that I have PCOS or Poly Cystic Ovarian Syndrome but they didn't explain to me what it was or how serious it could be so I just ignored it. Fast forward ten years of trying to get pregnant and having a baby and all that stress and hope and heart ache because I was told that many women who have PCOS go on to have healthy pregnancies. Why am I telling you all this well it's because I got a scare that taught me a lot. I honestly thought I was pregnant for a few months and my body mirrored all the symptoms but I couldn't get a straight answer all the local health clinic told me was that I was not pregnant they wouldn't investigate further. It took some severe lower abdominal pain and severe bleeding to get my answers. I went to the ER at Sacred Heart and they told me that what had happened was that some of my smaller cysts burst but I was lucky because I have several large cysts in my ovaries. They told me that the heavy bleeding is because I need to get my periods under control sometimes with PCOS you don't have them regularly so I need to get on hormones and that will help me manage this better. I also have to avoid extreme sports so I don't rupture a big cyst and hemorrhage. I was scared to hear all this but at least I know the truth so I can take care of me. I also learned that becoming pregnant will be next to impossible but I am honestly okay with that. I did learn in addition how many people do love me and care about me and I honestly appreciate that. It was a little scary but it could have been a lot worse so I was really blessed and really fortunate.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment