Saturday, March 20, 2010

Blanket Project

Damian has a family reunion coming up the middle of July and every year his family has an auction to help raise money for the next years reunion. Well, anyway I had the idea at first to make single layer fleece lap blankets but then I was talking to my good friend Breck who happens to quilt and make blankets along with her mother and she encouraged me to think twice about that decision. She had good reasons that of course I hadn't thought of since I don't know what I'm doing. One, fleece is extremely expensive and it would be hard for me to get enough money earned per blanket to make it worth it and two even one layer can get extremely heavy so even one layer in July would be too warm. Her idea involved some piecing and sewing but in the end it will be worth it. Her idea was to make nine patch squares and then link them together with a strip of fabric and then embroider the name of the family along with the year on the blanket. I told her that was great but I didn't know how to do that. She assured me that I would. Bless her heart she is nine months pregnant about to give birth any day now and I spent most of yesterday at her house as we searched through her fabric scraps finally settling on something that I probably wouldn't have chosen for myself but that will end up looking really cool. We also started cutting and she taught me how to do that it was easy once I figured it out and we started sewing. Again once I figured it out and what she was meaning since she doesn't give direction very well I could do that too. It was just straight seams. I am hooked now I want to save up my hard earned money to buy me a machine and start making my own blankets I think they would be awesome presents. She's also going to teach me how to embroider which is something I have always wanted to do. I think it's going to be awesome and I like learning new skills that I can use to help me learn how to be a domestic diva that's right I don't like the terms housewife or domestic engineer but I LOVE the word domestic diva.

No comments: