Thursday, October 1, 2009

Winter Preparations

I know I wished for cooler weather but this is ridiculous....I wanted it to be more like fall and at least at my house it's been really cold and chilly outside...especially in the mornings.. right now it's saying that it's 35 degrees out there....BRRRR too cold for me. We are going to buy a new filter for our furnace today and Damian will be taking our window air conditioners out so that means bye bye to summer and getting ready for winter. We still have yet to put plastic up on our windows to help keep some of the cold out and to figure out a way to block the cold from coming in through the gaps between our front door and our door jam. Gotta love our slumlord he doesn't give a crap but he will when he has to pay the power bill come February when we move...Ha ha ha. One more miserable winter in this cold place and then we will be on to a better living situation. Paying 120 a month for a two bedroom place is ridiculous especially since our trailer isn't very big square footage wise..it's probably about the size of an average two bedroom apartment it's just stretched out and that's on budget billing last winter our bill averaged 350 a month...yikes!!!! So we have decided that while yes our rent will go up by about 50 dollars or so moving to the new place once we take into account our slumlord's annual rent increases by at least 50 around here we may still come out ahead because we won't be paying astronomical heating bills just to stay warm...and we aren't even using all that much heat our thermostat is ONLY on about 65 no more than 70 degrees it's not like we are cranking it up but I have come to realize that this place is very poorly insulated and we have central heat so anytime it gets below a certain temp the furnace kicks on that's all fine and good except we get lots of drafts that blow in and our heat is always kicking on. Anyway, one last winter I can get through that...meanwhile I'm snuggled under a blanket and am trying NOT to turn the heat on before I really have to.

No comments: