My friend Stephani has been asking for help in her quest for enlightenment and she asked nicely for people to share their core values with her. Well, as hard as it was to articulate how I truly feel I did somehow manage to do so and in so doing gave a voice to somethings that I just try and live. I decided I wanted to share them...you can feel free to give me your thoughts or opinions just keep in mind that while I respect those thoughts or opinons and comments that doing so won't change anything these are my core values and I am sticking to them. It took me nearly 30 years to reach a place where I am at peace with myself and my fellow man I am not doing anything to screw that up now.
1) We are not put here by accident or chance there is a plan and purpose for our lives no matter how long or short or how pain ridden or challenge ridden that life is it is all for a reason and a purpose although we may not know why right now and that's okay that's where faith comes in.
2) This also goes along with number 1..the people in our lives are also not by chance they are because we need them to help us in some way or for us to help them or even both. This goes for our families and also our friends...sometimes it's just for a short while and sometimes it's forever. I do believe also that in addition to the family relationship enduring that friendships can as well and that good friendships can do much to enrich our lives and can help us acheive what we were put here on Earth to achieve.
3) I believe that even though it will not be on our timing that the Lord hears us and will respond to our prayers he will not grant every request but when he says no or not right now it's not to be mean it's because he is a loving father. How would it be if you said yes to every one of your children's requests? He is the same sometimes it is better for us to hear no in the long run than to be given everything we think we want. Also sometimes he will give us something we don't think we want but it turns out to be so much more than we had originally thought we wanted.
4) I believe very strongly in miracles I have been a paricipant of them, and have also witnessed many and they are a product of faith and trust.
5) I belive that we will be asked to do more than sometimes what we think we can and that sometimes we will reach a breaking point but I also know that if we have enough faith and trust and do what we are asked to do that we will be just fine we will endure and our knowledge and faith will be so much stronger.
6) I believe that this life will bring heartache, sorrow and bitterness but along with the bitterness and pain there will be sweetness and there will be joy and love. We will be helped along our way and will not be left alone...along with this I believe that others are often prompted to reach out a helping hand by a loving father who knows what our needs are this again is why familes are so critical along with good friends and even the home teaching and visiting teaching program. We can be a lifeline to others as they can be one to us.
7) I believe that while it is important to study the gospel and read your scriptures and attend your meetings that none of this will do you much good if you turn away from someone in need...after all aren't we all in need of something at some point? I believe very much in the truth that the scriptures tell us that when we do it unto the least of these we do it unto the Lord and that in serving our fellow man we are serving our Lord but only when done with true love and patience with a humble heart. It will do little good to toot your own horn or make serving and acts of kindness and love into drudgery. Basically love our fellow man and serve them and I feel the world would be a kinder and friendlier place to be.
8) I believe that we need to truly learn to forgive not only others but ourselves in order to move forward..this means letting go of the hurt and anger inside your heart and letting go of past transgressions although it doesn't always mean taking the person back into your life...it means taking the high road and not dragging them through the mud although doing so seems to be a good idea at the time. Also along with this is being gentle on ourselves we are human we will make mistakes from time to time how much time is wasted beating up ourselves when we screw up instead of brushing ourselves off and resolving to do better next time.
9) I believe it is NOT selfish to take care of yourself and energize yourself...we are only given so much energy and if that is gone and we continue to try and be everything to everyone that soon we will be emotionally and physically bankrupt and until we can get our reserves back we won't be any good to anyone. By the same token every relationship in our lives should be evaluated carefully it will do little good to have a toxic relationship. I have had a few of those and I know that when I am trying to be my best they drag me down but when I have a healthy one I feel renewed and refreshed and they respect me and my needs and wishes.
10) I believe that we need to respect others and their core values and feelings etc. Even when we don't agree their values and feelings are still valid it is not our place to judge someone else or tear them apart.. we do not know the whole story and we don't know how they are feeling or why they think the way they do until we can walk in their shoes for awhile.
11) I believe that we need to count our every blessing even down to our physial abilities for the things taken for granted by one might be a desperate desire for someone else. We need to be mindful of every blessing and thank our Lord for them, on a regular basis.
Wednesday, October 21, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Great list, cuz! Well said.
Yes, thank you again for being willing to share Amanda. You really did word this beautifully.
Post a Comment