Wednesday, July 22, 2009

On the Road to Recovery

Last Friday I had a dentist appointment which I was looking forward too only in the sense that a tooth ache that had persisted for months would soon be remedied. I knew a tooth just had to come out there was too big of a hole there for it to be saved what I didn't know was it was a wisdom tooth. My grandma was kind enough to take me into the CHAS clinic on North Maple in Spokane (on a side note I love this CHAS clinic compared to the other ones they were professional but kind at the same time it was a great experience). Anyway, I went in and they did an x-ray and that's when I found out that it was a wisdom tooth. That made me nervous but I was even more so when the dentist told me usually she doesn't do those kind of teeth but in my situation she would try. That didn't boost my confidence much especially since I know I have a small jaw and a small mouth so that didn't help. All I could do was pray well thankfully, the tooth came out in one piece and I didn't feel a thing for several hours. My grandparents released me into the care of my husband and after grabbing an ice pack and taking a pain pill I went to bed. I was in and out for awhile after that sleeping a lot but now I am happy to say that I am well on the road to recovery and thankfully there was no real complications besides being sore which is not surprising considering how big of a hole that was left behind. Thankfully I am a fast healer and so I'm starting to feel better it's also nice to be well again after months of swallowing poision basically and not realizing that was what was making me so sick. On another note I'm glad that I went to this CHAS clinic for those of you who don't know what that is let me elaborate CHAS stands for Community Health Association of Spokane and they are set up to provide basic medical and some basic dental services for people who may or may not have medical insurance so they accept payment on a sliding fee scale if you happen to not have insurance. This way people ideally can get the care they need. Here was the problem I have run into and I'm not the only one I'm sure the last time I had to go there for even a basic female exam I got treated with rude indifference and they gave me the third degree for NOT having any kind of medical insurance. I'm sorry but although I was employed at the time the place was a real crap hole for lack of a better word and they were too cheap to treat their employees well at all so what choice did I have. I cringed thinking of having to go back to a CHAS clinic but this clinic on Maple not only looked nice but the receptionist was kind but professional, then the dentist and assistants were professional but very kind and let me know I was in good hands and did their best to put me at ease. Not only that but they made sure I wasn't in any pain during the procedure which was greatly appreciated no one wants to have a tooth pulled if they are only halfway numb. They walked me out and even helped me get my prescription filled. I had a wonderful experience it is nice to know that at least one medical facility in Spokane doesn't treat people like second class citizens if they don't happen to have insurance, what people need to realize is that medical insurance is expensive and that even if someone is fortunate enough to be employed that doesn't always mean that their employer will offer them medical or dental benefits. I was employed for over two years for Venture Data and I didn't recieve any of those things.

No comments: