Monday, March 2, 2009

Rediscovering Old Hobbies

I recently rediscovered how much I love to write. I used to write stories all the time papers cluttered every where. Stories were my companions when other friends of mine had been asked out on dates and writing romance was my specialty because many of my friends who read them told me that they were real they weren't overly sappy and they contained both love and romance and real challenges and obstacles that my characters had to overcome. I stopped writing about ten years ago or so when another "friend" of mine really critcized my stories to the point where I was in tears I don't know why that would have mattered to the point where I stopped but it did. I had attempted to write a little since then but couldn't overcome my writer's block. Then something magical happened I talked with another friend of mine who writes all the time and she gave me some very valuable advise for both my life and my writing. She told me to write for me to write because I love it and be true to myself and my style. She told me that not everyone will like what I have to say or my writing but if I love it and love what I wrote than that is all that matters. I have since started another story LOVING the idea of being able to type it into my computer versus the old way of pen and paper and lots of scribbled out lines and words. It is another love story and I have found that with age and maturity my romances are really coming along and I know more about love and romance than I did as a teenager which makes sense. I also have been taking my time I'm not forcing the story line I only write when the ideas are really flowing and I stop when I feel the story feeling forced. I want the story to flow and feel like it could really have happened. I also have stopped doing cross stitch again because someone I had taken the time to make something for had thrown it away and I witnessed this. Witnessing this crushed me and I stopped doing it however I have realized that enough is enough and I love doing it so I need to continue. I realized that I need to do a hobby because I enjoy it not to please someone else.

1 comment:

xoelle said...

people are mean! Lost of things that I do people think are useless... "Laura, why would you spend two weeks making a rug when you can go to the store and purchase one?" They don't get the value of actually using your hands and heart and time to create something. It is so rewarding! Keep creating girl, don't let anyone stop you!