Friday, April 30, 2010

Things done on a budget

I believe in doing almost everything on a shoe string budget. I really feel that you can get away with spending little money but getting the most out of what you do spend. I would be happy to give a few examples. Damian and I with a lot of creativity and some help from loved ones and friends put on a wedding with little cost. I think we only spent about 2500 and that was for EVERYTHING including the dress, invitations, you name it. We also have had creative wedding anniversary celebrations because we have been broke but I can tell you how wonderful they have turned out. It has just been Damian and I at home cuddling and if we have the money we have gotten a pizza or something but we have never done anything fancy. I don't shop at fancy stores I like to shop at Winco or Walmart and most of my clothes I have gotten from other women. I don't do this things just because we have had almost no money I would do the same even if we were really rich. The same principles apply when we are planning our vacations. Damian and I have a dream of renewing our wedding vows in Hawaii that sounds pretty ambitious until I tell you that actually we can cut the costs quite a lot. For starters we plan on going during the off season when everything is cheaper. We also with the help of the internet found a condo rental that is only 390 dollars for the week that is not bad at all and it has a kitchen so all we have to do is do some simple shopping and the food angle is covered. We found a wonderful package that is quite inclusive for the vow renewal ceremony and it is affordable as well because the wedding planners are also the photographer and a licensed minister so that cuts costs considerably. We still plan on having a dream vacation I can't think of anything better than being alone with my spouse reaffirming our love for one another but I also do plan on spending some money. For example, it has always been my dream to swim with a dolphin and I plan on making that dream a reality on this Hawaii vacation. I just chose to spend my money where it will do the most for me. I don't care if I sleep in a four or five star hotel, I don't care if I eat at a fancy restaurant but what I do care about is fulfilling a dream and making memories and taking photographs of a wonderful time.

1 comment:

Tamy Fosburg said...

You're awesome! I'm proud of you. Money drives me crazy because of how much time I have to think about it. But I do love some of the things we've been able to do with proper planning, help from friends, hard work, and like you, putting our money where it will do the most good. We've made some great memories doing things that haven't cost us a sent, like taking a walk a sunset and talking about the gospel (my favorite topic).