Saturday, November 28, 2009

The Innocence of Youth

Damian and I had a chance to spend some time with my siblings Thanksgiving weekend just to see the kids mostly. That was a good time for us to see Gaige he has grown so much since May, he is army crawling now and is really quick and is trying to walk. It is so neat watching him as he tries to figure stuff out. He warmed up to us pretty quick. Lexus is so smart she put together simple puzzles and is talking up a storm and she played with and hugged and kissed ALL her aunts and uncles. I don't think at her age she has favorites anyone who loves her and pays attention to her is her favorite. Then little Kaylee just looked around for awhile with wide eyes drinking everything in before eating and going sleep. I LOVE them all they are all so different but they are all sweet in their own ways and unspoiled by the outside world. They are still innocent and I was thinking that is a good way for them to be I hope they will be that way for awhile. That got me thinking about a lot of things....like how adults can manipulate their kids into having favorites like a favorite grandparent or aunt or uncle instead of just letting them love everyone in their family circle. I think that happens whether intentional or not. While it is important for a parent or loving adult to guide your child to keep them safe because in their innocence anyone can harm them at the same time I think sometimes it happens where they can be influenced to say or do certain things like saying that they have favorite family members. This makes me sad because why do we have to have favorites? Why can't we all have enough love in our hearts for all our family and even room to love dear friends as family? Why are we limiting our ability to love others and in the process accidentally teaching that to our children? I don't understand that as it has been my experience that the human heart and the ability to love is quite elastic there is always room to love someone else and to treat them well. I truly believe that love and respect and understanding can do much to counteract hatred and fear.

No comments: