Monday, November 23, 2009

A Family Again

I am excited that the Impett family feels like a family again but I am getting ahead of myself let me start over at the beginning.
I met Damian ten years ago as of Friday night at a dance for young single adults at our church and we immediately hit it off and became fast friends and just as fast serious about one another. We just knew that we were right for each other. So as is customary I met his parents the weekend before Christmas. I rode out on the bus with Damian where his mom picked us up at the McDonald's out here and we went to church with them and had dinner and got acquainted with all the members of the family. What struck me right away was how loving and kind his family was and how they bantered with one another but never in a mean spirited hurtful way. I was welcomed warmly and invited back which was a wonderful feeling because you always want a meeting with your significant others parents and family to go well.
I was even pleasantly surprised when Angela one of Damian's sisters handed me a wrapped present from their parents at church the following week. It was a beautiful necklace which I still have and it was sweet that it was marked love mom and dad Impett. I was a little taken back not because it scared me but because they all ready included me as one of them. Mom told me later it was because when she saw Damian and I together she knew that we would be married and together forever and that I would be a part of their eternal family. Damian and I got engaged shortly after that and while my mom was giving me grief and problems Damian's mother was helpful and kind and understood that I had to try and please two families. I was welcome over there any time and few times when Damian would be over doing laundry I would come over after school. I sometimes would get there early so Dad and I would talk...he was hard to get to know at first but well worth it. He has been a loving and caring father to me meanwhile respecting my own father. Mom,Damian and I would watch movies downstairs while he did his laundry and we would all talk. I also remember a time when I was coerced into playing a violin solo in sacrament meeting and I don't think my mom was there but I do remember Angela, Damian and mom and dad in the front row. I screwed it up but they thought it was beautiful anyway. I also remember sharing with them the blessing of when Damian got set apart as an elder. They were there and an active part of our wedding day and reception dad even took us home in his old jeep he used to have because while my mom didn't understand a newlywed's need for some privacy between our wedding and reception they did. He graciously brought us back to the church so we could celebrate our union. For many years after that we had a wonderful relationship mom even taking me shopping every month for awhile without complaining and we would eat lunch together and we even split up one night at the movies to avoid a family mutiny. We were split right down the middle the guys wanted to see Black Hawk Down while mom and I wanted to see A Beautiful Mind. Well, we split up the guys seeing their movie and mom and I seeing ours. We got along great and then I don't know what happened but a couple of years ago that all changed for a long while and there was contention and mean words spoken. Damian and I felt sad and torn and not supported anymore. Just recently that changed again and we are so glad because it feels like we are an eternal family again. I still have an eternal family with my birth family and we have also shared many happy memories together but it has been our experience that it is easier for everyone when Damian and I aren't torn apart trying to please everyone in our families and when it feels like we are all a family.

1 comment:

Tamy Fosburg said...

You're awesome! I'm glad that you guys kept working at it. It's hard when family isn't getting along. No matter how much pride is swallowed, it's always worth keeping things together. Family is supposed to be complicated and difficult - that's how we become celestialized!