I can't believe it has almost been a decade already....10 years Thanksgiving weekend since I first laid eyes on Damian and our love story started. I still remember every detail of that night and my friend Anna telling me to send her a wedding announcement I don't know how she knew but she did that we would be together. That became obvious soon to everyone else as we were engaged by January, January 3rd to be exact and married by June 24th. I had promised that I wouldn't do anything impulsive but although we married quickly and I was still young, I had just turned 20 I knew in my heart Damian was the one. I knew because from the first conversation he gave me his address, birthday, home phone number, cell number, pager number everything but his social security number just in case. He wanted me to be able to reach him. He had this ability to read me and my emotions and know just when I needed him and many nights we talked 12 plus hours until late into the night. Poor Damian I would need him when I couldn't sleep but then somehow he would get up and go to work although I had kept him up most of the night. I also knew he was the one when he put his arm around me and asked how I was and he had just met me. When I told him I was doing fine he said well your face says you aren't doing fine so please tell me how you really are. I couldn't believe it so I just broke down and told him everything thinking oh crap now I scared this guy away but he just listened intently and said that he was sorry and that he hoped I had a better day. Later that same night he finally asked me out but we were boyfriend and girlfriend before our first date but that's okay because everything with him has felt so natural and so right. We have had our ups and downs and we were separated for a little while, I think that was because in order for us to learn to be married the way we needed to be that we had to take care of ourselves before we could take care of each other but once we did we could come back together. We had always loved each other even when we lied and said we didn't. We came back together and while the path back together wasn't easy we have learned the secret...we have learned to walk it together helping each other gently by reaching out a hand instead of dragging the other along like we used to. We remembered why we fell in love and we have been learning the art of compromise and that loyalty to each other is paramount. We have learned that even when things annoy us that we are each others ultimate best friend and that keeping a sense of humor is so important as is honest and open communication. We have learned to have a healthy amount of distance between us and trust that even when we want our space for a little while we will come back together again and feel renewed and refreshed when we do. We have learned that it's okay to not share every interest and that it's still okay to have our own little interests and hobbies while we are discovering ones we like together. We have even learned that it's okay to keep our own friends in our lives and not just the ones we have as a couple. Mostly though we realize that while 10 years is a milestone it's just a start really just a small speck of time and we pray that we can have many more decades together. I have thought I was in love many times but it has been nothing like this...it's hard to put into words. I love Damian more now than back then maybe because our love has been time tested and stretched to it's limit and still held. Maybe it's because he has proven to me time and time again that I can trust him and rely on him and that he loves me as well and that I'm beautiful to him no matter how old I am starting to get. Over the years we have found songs that have meant so much to us and we want to share them.....
Sunday, November 8, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment