Saturday, August 7, 2010

Do it anyway

Lately I have come under fire and have been accused of not being able to mind my own business because I attempted to help someone who had not directly asked for help. I'm sorry I didn't mean to offend but it has been my experience that sometimes someone wants help but they don't know how to ask for it and if they didn't want any help they would definitely tell you. I also have been told that I should just give up being so nice and trying to help everyone that I can't possibly make a difference. You know sometimes I felt that way and was discouraged but I can't help it it's in my nature to help other people even if I don't know them. It's in my nature to want to help and try and make a difference in not only my life but the life of someone else someone I may not even know. I am reminded of a story about that in the first Chicken Soup for the Soul book where someone was randomly throwing star fish back into the ocean because they had washed up on the beach. An observer was watching this and commented about how could that person possibly make a difference as there were still so many star fish on the shore. The person just threw another one in the ocean and said "I made a difference to that one." I feel like that I know there have been people whose life I touched and even though I didn't get to see the outcome I know in my heart that a simple kindness and act of love did make a small difference in their life. We don't know when a smile, touch of the hand, taking time to listen or something as small as being a friend or making a phone call or even helping someone carry something will make a huge difference in that person's life. It seems so small but it's been the small things that mean the most. I can testify to that in my life I don't know how many times I was sinking and I was saved by small acts of love and kindness. I also know that not every act of kindness will manifest itself and that sometimes it can feel like a waste of time, energy and effort but I also know that I need to do it anyway because if I don't I have given in to the hatred and bitterness and selfishness that is rampant in this world. I have posted these songs before but I love them and I'm going to post them again.
Martina McBride's Anyway she sings about just this type of subject in this song that's why I love it

I firmly believe in this philosohy that love is the only house that is big enough for all the pain in the world. Love can do a lot it is more powerful than hatred and fear.


No comments: