Thursday, October 23, 2008

Getting ready for winter

It's still fall but temperature wise it's getting colder so we are starting winterization at our house since we have had to now turn on the heat and I have discovered mainly since our recliner is right by a window that any time there is a breeze I can feel it come in through the window although the window is closed. So thankfully a good friend of mine gave me some plastic left over years ago from a prior apartment of hers and with some effort on our part and a little duct tape we now are starting to get windows covered. Actually it is already making a small difference already we have just one full window done but already it is feeling warmer and instead of needing to crank up the thermostat to 75 degrees to keep from freezing I can now turn it down to 70 and it still feels warm. Our other projects before snow flies are to finish covering the windows in plastic as well as getting some weather stripping for our front door as there isn't any around that door at all. We are hoping that by spending some money to do all this that we can avoid another winter of paying 200 dollars a month in heating costs. I'm being optimistic perhaps but we are hoping that all the efforts we are making now will cut our bill by at least 25 to 50 percent which will make a huge difference.

2 comments:

Renee' P said...

I hear ya! We are going to put plastic on all the windows in the house and hope that it makes a difference. We just got a new back door w/out cracks, so that should help too.
I hope your bill does stay down.
We racked up a lot of money last winter just in a few months.

Heather said...

we put a towel right in front of our door at the bottom. I know that sounds kinda getto but it really helps to keep the floor warmer!