Sunday, October 19, 2008

It's All A Matter of Faith

Today was church and of course now that Damian and I are over our whole passing around the flu back and forth we went. It was hard I admit to get up so early and go but going was just what we needed at that moment. Sitting next to him hand in hand or having his arm around me was wonderful as we both listened to the speaker in sacrament meeting. There seemed to be a whole theme based on what I needed at that moment in my life. It's pretty cool how Heavenly Father works that way. They sang one of my favorite hymns "The Lord Is My Light" and lately because of everything I have been going through it seemed to have more meaning and I did get teary. Damian being touched by the spirit himself was of course more tender and loving and was worried but he understood, his wife gets very emotional I am an emotional being so he didn't make a big deal of it just held the hymn book while I got my ever constant companion of kleenex. Then in Sunday school we were talking about The Book of Mormon and the Gidiantion robbers. I know I didn't spell that right but that's not the point, I have read the Book of Mormon a dozen or more times and studied it in seminary but today Sis. Harsberger as she gave her lesson did such an amazing job of breaking it down to how it is relevant to us today. She made the comparison to how these robbers compare to Satan and his devils and how they will try and keep us from doing the right things and how to combat them and fight them off. It was a new way of looking at it that really got me thinking so that's a good thing. Sis. Harsberger sure does a good job with her lessons. Then to finish off the theme for me today was Relief Society where we were talking about some of the persecutions Joseph Smith has gone through and how he could bear them and have faith that things would be better and have joy despite all that happened to him and his family. I tend to be a murmerer I tend to whine I tend to complain but then someone said something that was really interesting to me. She said that sometimes Heavenly Father stretches us sometimes to the point where we think we will break in half because he sees the whole picture and he sees what we can become and he wants us to get there. I have been thinking about that a lot I have been stretched quite a bit throughout my life but also just in the last couple of years and no it wasn't pleasant and sometimes I felt like I was asked to take on more than I could carry or that I was being stretched to where I would break in half. However, looking back I see that I survived but that I also learned a lot that I needed to learn. I learned to stop complaining and to start trusting no matter what I was asked to do even if I want something else. I have learned to stop acting like a whiny two year old when I am asked by the Lord to do something kicking my fists and heels and whining about how I don't wanna and instead doing it even if I don't yet see the rhyme or reason. I also have learned to be more patient and loving and tender I have learned to serve and love more and turn to my Father in Heaven more. I have learned that what I thought I wanted was replaced by what I really needed and everything was so much better than I could have come up with on my own. I have learned to increase my faith and to just let go and trust after doing my best. I have learned that I don't need to know everything just enough to get me to the next step and I have learned to completely stop whining and murmering and have joy in all things even when it's hard to have some...I have learned gratitude for what I do have instead of what I lack.

1 comment:

Lissa said...

It's true--so often Heavenly Father doesn't give us what we want, but gives us what we need instead. And usually we grumble about not getting what we want until we realize what we got instead was really better for us. He's always looking out for us! Did you guys get to watch any of General Conference at the beginning of the month?