Thursday, September 18, 2008

Trying to hold Family Home Evening as a Couple with no kids

Hey everyone!!! This is kinda a blog post to try and get some input....as many of you know Damian and I have not been able to have children like we have hoped so we have not really thought of ourselves as needing to have family home evening since most of the thoughts, ideas, lessons etc are geared towards families with kids. However, now that Damian and I fully understand that we are also a family unit we want to try and hold our own but like I said we don't know where to start. I have been trying to come up with improvised lessons by taking a topic out of the scriptures but while this helps us with our scripture study that gets old after awhile. Anyone have any ideas for lessons, etc or on just how to hold a Family Home Evening without kids in the house please let me know I would love any ideas or suggestions. Also I love Damian dearly but he gets bored easily when we try and read the scriptures together out loud this is partly due to the fact that he doesn't feel comfortable with his reading ability although I don't care all I care about is that he is reading them. I really want to start scripture study with him I feel that could really bring us together but I don't know how to go about it without feeling as if I'm dragging him along. He does read them by himself but he struggles when it comes to anything being read outloud. Any ideas?

3 comments:

Renee' P said...

FHE is for everyone! Singles, married couples, families w/children & empty nesters. I think that as long as you are making the attempt to bring you and Damian closer by FHE, then it will work. You don't always have to read sciptures. Keep it simple for now:Start w/an opening prayer, sing a song together, trade off w/a lesson (anything you want), then maybe play a two-player game afterward. You could do lessons on organizing,the gospel,marriage,eternal families, etc. Just find something that will help you two! I hope this helps you out.
For a few years now we have been doing FHE w/another couple. EVen before either of us became parents. It doesn't matter if u have kids or not.
Good luck and let me know how it goes!

Jason and Lissa said...

Reading scriptures is important, but it's pointless if you're not engaging your mind and trying to learn from them. Maybe you can read them and have Damian follow along with you, maybe reading the short verses. Then you can talk about what you read and try to apply it to your lives--that's the important part of scripture study!

As for FHE, there are lots of ideas online that can be adapted for couples without kids. Or you can just read an article from the Ensign for your lesson. (The Ensign is online if you don't get it delivered at home.) Then for an activity you can play a game or do something like make cookies together. Just google "Family Home Evening ideas" and see what you can find. Good luck!

Stephani said...

The Ensign and Friend magazines make for some fun, interesting lessons that usually apply so well to current daily issues in our lives, for all of us. Sometimes the 5 minute lessons are the best, even a quote or a one-verse scripture can be a great lesson if it's something that gets you both talking and pondering. Another thing you might try is church videos, or even good family movies from the local video store if they connect with a gospel lesson you'd like to discuss, we do those once in a while...there's usually some good ones to check out in your ward library, and they make for easy lesson planning... And then for me, FHE should be fun, so I like to take turns planning an activity, again it doesn't have to be very long, or it can be as long as you want, just time to enjoy being a family. And you're so right, families come in all shapes and sizes. And then of course, FHE's always a good excuse for a treat... ;)