Friday, August 21, 2009

Damian's Progress

Yesterday Damian had another counseling session but I didn't get to know how it worked out until he had gotten home last night after his ham radio meeting. I was on pins and needles because this was an important appointment for two reasons 1) he was going to be getting a progress report to see how often he needed to keep going and 2) he was going to check on being able to have his cat become his therapy animal officially. I am so happy to say that Cloud is officially his therapy animal Damian has paperwork that we will carry with us so they NEVER have to be parted. This may sound trivial but I have lived with Damian's bipolar for two years now or so and I have seen first hand how him having his cat helps him. Sometimes ALL he wants is his cat and that's it. Cloud gives him unconditional love only asking to be petted he is sensitive to Damian's moods and he also gives Damian motivation to get up and take care of him even when he doesn't want to get out of bed. I'm so thankful they will NEVER have to be parted. I have no doubt now that although Cloud started off living with Damian's brother and our sister in law Danielle that he was meant to be with Damian. Secondly, Damian has been making HUGE progress and HUGE strides he still has work to do but she is starting to feel confident that after a couple of more months and with some support systems in place Damian MAY be able to forgo more counseling sessions for awhile. I'm so happy and proud of him for taking these HUGE steps in his life. I know it hasn't been easy for him but I know it's because of this counseling that he is becoming the man I always knew he could be. He's real personality is coming out and it's warped and he has a interesting sense of humor but I LOVE that. I love how unique he is and how kind he is and now that he's not hurting as bad I love how kind and sensitive he is to me and how much he is starting to show me that he can start carrying our burdens or at least help me start carrying them.

No comments: