Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The 5 Love Languages

I have learned a lot about my husband and myself for that matter in the last 24 hours more so than I have in the last 9 years or so that my husband has been in my life. I noticed that Damian and I were getting too comfortable too much into a rut but I hear that is normal when you have been with the same person for a long time so in order to shake things up a bit and hopefully prevent us from becoming bored with one another I found a really good book called "The 5 Love Languages" by Gary Chapman. The idea is that each person out there speaks a certain love language or languages and that once you and your partner know which ones you speak then you can better show your partner that you love them in a way they will understand and feel that love. To help accomplish this you take an assessment privately and then share your results. I swear Damian and I took our tests separately but what we found out is that we do indeed share the same love languages we both need quality time in order to feel loved, physical touch that might explain why I love and crave hugs and kisses so much and we also need to hear words of appreciation from our partner. Now that we know this about each other we are so much more in tune with each other and we both know what we need to do to show love for each other in a way that we can understand. We also have realized that we have gotten too much into a rut and too comfortable we just assume our partner knows how we feel we have gotten out of the habit of showing and telling each other exactly why we are with them and what we love about them. By the way just so you know the rest of the book is broken up into sections going into detail about each love language and exactly how to speak it which is helpful if you end up speaking totally different languages from your partner in life.

2 comments:

Stephani said...

Yeah, I've heard that's a good book, I'll have to go check it out...

Renee' P said...

I have read that book too and it does help you to get to know your spouse better. The funny thing is, is that your primary love language can change throughout the years. You just have to communicate w/your spouse.