Today was a day like any other day until tonight around 10 pm when my grandparents who were on the way home from the airport stopped by our house and dropped off the biography of my dad's life that has been talked about and worked on for a long time. It has my grandma and grandpa's recollections of him along with all his siblings, my mom's and my own. I haven't read it myself but I heard it was good and well written. I have mixed emotions about it, I am excited to know and learn more about the man who was my dad and was a part of my life for 10 years before he was killed by a drunk driver but on the other I'm sad that I have to read about him when most people get to ask their parents directly. It's okay though I miss my dad dearly and think of him from time to time and wonder what would it be like if he were still here but on the other hand I have made my peace with losing him. I know that Heavenly Father had a plan for that like he does everything else and I guess he needed him more than I did. I loved my dad very much and miss him because of the father he was, he was the kind of man who showed his love by word and deed and he loved to laugh and make jokes. He knew when to be serious though and when I needed him to be strong he was and I knew I could rely on my dad to make everything better. I also loved how he listened to me intently no matter how big or small it was he cared and not many people will take the time to listen to a little kid much less care what they have to say. I respected and loved him for that. I loved how he taught me by action how to love and care for others, that is how he lived his life. He died with little to no material wealth but he died with many friends and many people who he touched in some way. I guess you could say he left behind a legacy of love something which I strive to emulate. I was blessed with my dad's personality and love for people, I didn't always think of it as a gift sometimes I thought of it as a curse but now I don't fight it anymore I just go with it and try to do my best to help make the world a better place. I am not trying to boast at all I just am saying that's what my dad did he loved people, he actually cared about you even if he barely knew you and he would do his best to try and leave this world just a little better than when he found it. I miss him and love him but I am at peace with why he had to leave me when I was so young, it was just the way it was. I know where he is and I believe that families are forever, I will be with him again.
Wednesday, January 14, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
That's so wonderful that you have so many good memories of your dad. I still remember way back when your family went through that horrible accident, I barely knew you back then but I remember seeing you guys at church. I have one memory of you all out in the foyer and your dad standing next to the couch where you and your mom and siblings sat. That really must have been so hard to lose him, but I understand you when you say you eventually come to peace with it. That doesn't come easily or quickly, but I'm glad you're there. I'm sure your dad is proud of the person you are Amanda.
Post a Comment