Friday, January 16, 2009

I got up the courage to read his biography

Okay, it wasn't easy at first but last night I got up the courage to read my dad's biography and I didn't stop until I had read it from cover to cover. I had to admit that it was really well written and I learned a lot about him and about his life. My grandma covered everything she could remember up until the end of his mission, then my mom took over. I really learned some things about my dad that I didn't know and now I know where I get some of my sometimes annoying habits from, for example I tend to pace and not just when I am nervous. I hate sitting still when I am on the phone I just have to get up and walk around I guess my dad used to do the same thing. I also cried a little when I read all the touching accounts of him that my mom and my aunts and uncles shared. I understand why he was called home his mission on life was over but I still miss him and sometimes it's hard for me to not have him here when I love him so much it's hard not to be selfish and want him to be here. However, I felt bad about that and I said a little prayer thanking Heavenly Father for letting him be my dad for 10 years and for giving me a really good man to be my dad. I also asked Heavenly Father to help me deal with missing him and then I felt a really good gift come I felt warmth around my shoulders and I know all too well what that feeling is it is my dad giving me a hug and I am okay again. I guess it just gets hard when I can't see him or be with him or talk to him but when I can feel him nearby and I feel at peace and comforted I'm just fine again. I'm so thankful for a loving Heavenly Father who understands that and loves me enough to let me still feel my father's love. I am going to be 29 this year but I guess you are never too old to still be hugged and loved by your parents.

1 comment:

Jandre said...

What a sweet tribute to your dad. I know I have only vague recollections of him. I remember playing when we were little and I remember hearing him laugh in the background and such. I remember him being a very jovial fellow. He'll always be with you.