Friday, March 9, 2012
What's new
This is my blog but it has to do with my family so I thought I would take a moment and share this latest tid bit about Damian I'm so proud of him right now. He's starting to do really great. He's been studying really hard to get ready for his A+ certifications and he took one practice test already and did great. He's not comfortable enough yet to take the real tests at 300-400 bucks but he's doing great with as long as he's had his study materials. He's also really blooming when it comes to being social years ago he kept to himself now he and his brother play a game called Minecraft and talk all the time doing it along with another guy or two that plays. Damian also is actively involved doing ham radio activities and other things that require talking and social skills. He still makes some faux paus sometimes but not as many and not as often. He's learning how to still remain true to himself but still work within society. He's always going to be unique, quirky and will think outside the box but you know what I'm okay with that who says there is only one way to think. He has been feeling a little down lately though because although he's made a lot of progress he hasn't felt like he has that's where a friend of mine I know on Facebook really helped. She has a son who has Asbergers (Aspies) as she calls it and she shared with me a list of famous people actors and others who have the condition or in the case of people who died before the condition was known were suspected of having it. It was quite a list and they all made a success of themselves it really lifted my husband to know that he was not alone and that if they could do it so can he. I am so amazing and proud of him he's making so much progress. He's really learning to put the past behind him and all the negative things and comments behind him he's learning to look to the future and just keep going even though there still are negative things in his path. It makes me sad really he's such an awesome wonderful person I don't like how he has to deal with such negative things just because he's a little different and thinks outside the box. So what who really cares? He's such a loving kind soul with a really intelligent mind he was able to figure out computers and figure out problems with all kinds of related things on his own. I'm proud of the man he is and the man he is becoming and I will continue to root him on as he continues on the path to self discovery and as he learns that he can do anything he sets his mind too. Autism is not the end for him it's just something that we have to work around and the more people that realize this the better and if they chose not to then that's on them not him. I know I'm on a soap box a little but I'm getting a little frustrated with people's lack of knowledge and research on autism and the autism spectrum all they know is stereotypes. It is a disorder that is just as varied as individuals some people may show little and some a lot some are able to be social and live fulfilling lives and are able to make wonderful spouses and parents and some are not. Anyway I will continue to be proud of my husband and I will continue to be an advocate for autism and the autism spectrum of which Asbergers is a part of until more and more people understand and are no longer scared of what they don't know and understand. April is autism awareness month and I am proud to be the wife of a man who has it although it's been an uphill battle I will admit I'm glad I wasn't just another person that gave up on him.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment