Monday, September 27, 2010

To Reach the Unreachable Star

In recent years I have listened to my heart and gut and know what I was put here on Earth to do and that is to work with little children and pursue Early Childhood education. That doesn't sound like a big deal just go back to school well there is the problem I burned some bridges when I was "discovering" myself and I owe student loans and I would have to pay for a quarter at Spokane Falls Community College where I would need to go to get my degree if I wanted to even get financial aid. The other option is to pay the tuition and fees myself which I could save up for eventually but that would take quite awhile. Then I happened upon the SNAP website which stands for Spokane Neighborhood Action Programs and I saw that they have a savings match program where I would need to save up to 2,000 dollars in a designated savings account, attend a financial management class run by SNAP, research my intended purchase in this case school (they also would allow you to save for a house or opening a business) and follow up regularly with a SNAP caseworker and keep steady employment for at least 6 months and they are willing to provide up to 4,000 dollars in funds in assistance. This program is intended to help encourage independence and I intend to make good use of it because I discovered something about myself my grades in school were great when it was something I cared about but when it involved math or science that's when my grades tanked. I was looking into the Early Childhood program and all the classes involved and they will all be really interesting. I am planning on trying really hard to get all I need together so I can be a full time student a year from now. I know that I will have to make that sacrifice for at least a year for a certificate or two for an A.A.S Degree I do not know until I contact the program head which will be best for me but it's something I am willing to do to reach my dream. I say sacrifice because unlike some other liberal arts programs it's not just three hours of class and then I'm done I'm going to have to add a whole ton of hours in an early childhood classroom by quarters end every quarter. Thank goodness they have a daycare on campus to help with that it will be worth it though I have been happiest when I have been working in a child care environment. I am so happy that there will be a way for me to do this and make this happen.

No comments: