Wednesday, January 23, 2013
I need help please
I'm reaching out for some help and advice because I know many of you who read my blogs have gone through or are going through what I am currently so you may be able to help me out. I love school I love that I have a chance to learn but man its been an emotional roller coaster too. Its had lots of highs for one thing I have 2 A's and I'm proud of that but its also had its lows too which I will get to in a moment. I am grateful last week that we studied the phases of adjustment so I would kind of know what to expect as I got settled into my new college environment if you will but there was one phase that hit me just now that I was not expecting and to be honest its taken the wind almost out of my sails. Its the mental isolation phase which is characterized by feeling well isolated. I feel isolated, I feel blah, I feel lonely and it really really sucks. I was not expecting to feel this way because its not like I'm hundreds of miles away from home. I don't know what to do about it besides wait it out. The good news this phase means I'm almost done with my adjustment so that's really good. I am wondering if any of you have felt what I am feeling and if so how did you handle it? What did you do to help make things better? I am reaching out for help and support so I don't feel so isolated and alone. Damian has been wonderful and supportive but at the same time he is no help in this situation because he has never been through what I'm going through. Any words of advice etc would be extremely helpful. Thanks a million and I do feel a little better just being honest about how I'm feeling.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I haven't felt that way (at least, not that I know of) but I want you to know I love you and you're not alone! You can do it!
Hey Amanda,
Oh, do I have some thoughts on this really good question. For what it's worth...:-)
First off, I'm so excited for you that you've made the BIG decision to jump back into the world of school! To be fair, I'm a bonafide nerd and love school/learning and have had many, many positive experiences with being a student so it makes me super excited when someone is seeking it out! While I'm not sure I fully understand the isolation you're going through because I've never done distance-only education (and besides, can any of us truly understand the experiences that others are having?), I have definitely felt moments of isolation throughout my schooling. One bit of advice: generally speaking, they are just that - moments. It will pass, I promise. The benefit of going through those isolating phases, I have learned, is that you learn just how strong you really are. The fact is, you are not going to school to get a "group degree", you are going to school to get your own degree from your own effort. And, by design, that has to be an individual process. And, when you get through it, you'll look back and be so proud of what you were able to do. I can't tell you how many times I've looked at course requirements at the beginning of the semester, thought "WHOA. I have to do ALL that??!" But, then, when the semester is done and I've accomplished it, it is such a rewarding feeling! Isolation can be super overwhelming - but, when it passes, you'll see just how strong you are! Just hang in there!
My other bit of advice is to remember that you are not, in actuality, alone though. I am nearing the end of my own program (woohoo!) and it has been A LOT of difficult work for me. But, I have learned to lean on Heavenly Father in a very specific way and that experience has been invaluable! I have learned that He is not only aware of my spiritual progress, but that he will help me through ANYthing I need help with - including difficult courses, learning concepts I don't understand, statistics (blech!). He has been there through all of it, if I just ask for His help. He has helped me through times of paralyzing fear, when I've been completely overwhelmed, and those moments when I was sure I couldn't go on another day in this program. Is it strange to say that my testimony has been so strengthened by getting an education? Even if its strange, I'm going to say it anyway! Because it's so true.
Okay, enough from me - I hope that you're able to get something from my experience. I am positive that you can do this. Just stick with it, do the best you can, work hard, and ask Heavenly Father for help to make up the difference. I know He will.
Good luck! And keep us posted!
Katy
Post a Comment