Wednesday, December 8, 2010

A small ripple

Events that have transpired today give me hope that something I have done or said even though it was small made a difference to someone and that's all I have wanted to do. Many years ago I read a story in the first Chicken Soup for the Soul book about a man walking along a beach throwing star fish back into the ocean one at a time. Someone comes up to him and asks him why he is even wasting his time and that he can't possibly save them all. In response the man picks up another one throws it back in the ocean and says "made a difference to that one." For years that has inspired me no one can do everything but someone can do something. Now on to today's events I have struggled with infertility but more than that it's been really emotional that's what's been hard to deal with. Awhile ago a friend of mine gotta love her suggested that I can find a way to heal by creating my own support group on facebook and invite anyone who has dealt with or is dealing with what I have so no one feels alone. I did and it took awhile I got so frustrated I didn't keep up with it until a miracle happened. A young lady in Liverpool, England of all places messaged me because she couldn't join my group so we have been messaging each other all day long. I then looked and sure enough women have joined so I sent them a welcome message the hope being that we can get to know each other and find a place where we can find support and friendship. I don't mean to toot my own horn that's not what this post is about but it feels amazing to know that just one small act meant the world to someone enough that she was willing to message me from across the ocean even though she didn't know me. It feels amazing to know that I have touched someone's life like others have touched mine. I think that is so important to understand we don't always know how our small acts of kindness affect someone sometimes it's the small things that literally can mean the difference between life and death.

1 comment:

Stephani said...

wow, that is really cool Amanda! I love that you did that, and that it has offered a sense of love and understanding to others who don't even personally know you but that share a common need. Wonderful.